- Over 30,000 pages of original primary source material from two hundred handwritten volumes
- Original images, fully transcribed and keyword-searchable
- Both sides of the American Revolutionary War
- The French and Indian War
- The War of 1812
- The early frontier
- Other various military deployments throughout the young United States
Orderly Book Entries Include:
- Information on the day, location and general orders
- Proclamations from the Continental Congress
- Calculations about rations, miles and routes traveled
- Personal expenses and loans
- “Advertisements” announcing lost items, such as clothing and equipment
The content in Orderly Books provides detailed accounts of troops’ daily lives, documenting everything from court martial cases to the price of necessities charged by locals. Given the dearth of soldiers’ diaries, Orderly Books provides historically valuable information about soldiers’ lives.
"During this time period, much communication was in written format, making these records crucial to historical research. This is an excellent resource for collections specializing in Colonial era history."
– Choice Magazine, January 2015